P.Eng. LEED AP
Mike Wignall is the president of Westbrook Consulting Ltd.
Mike obtained a Bachelor of Applied Science in Civil Engineering Degree from the University of British Columbia in 1987 and his Professional Engineer registration from the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia in 1991. In 2009, Mike received his LEED Accredited Professional status (LEED AP) from the Canadian Green Building Council and in 2014 he received his MMCD Certified Contract Administrator accreditation.
Mike has worked in the Greater Victoria area and southern Vancouver Island on municipal infrastructure and land development projects since 1990 and is very well acquainted with both key personnel and regulations in all of the local municipalities.
In his day to day work, Mike is responsible for projects that include municipal infrastructure projects, subdivisions, multi-family projects, schools, industrial developments and large multi-use mixed density comprehensive developments. During the course of a project, Mike is responsible for project management, design review, specification writing, contract management and construction administration.
One area of his work that Mike particularly enjoys is the municipal approval aspect of projects, including explaining the project at an open house or making a formal presentation before council or neighbourhood groups.
Mike has completed many sustainable projects involving storm water management Low Impact Development (LID) Best Management Practices (BPMs) such as detention / retention storage, infiltration systems, bio-swales and rain gardens and permeable paving products.
When Mike isn’t working, he enjoys all forms of motorsports and includes automotive maintenance and restorations as his hobbies.
Mike’s feature projects include the following:
- Eagle Creek Village, Town of View Royal– Engineer of record for site servicing for a mixed used development consisting of 190,000 sq.ft. of retail and office space and 174 residential units.
- The Parkside at Royal Bay, City of Colwood – Engineer of record for a 57 unit subdivision in Colwood, featuring a unique paver surface, “Woonerf” style one way road.
- Victoria High School, City of Victoria – Engineer of record for civil works including sewer, water, infiltrative storm sewer system and new access ramps and plaza grading for the Fairey Tech Replacement project.
- McCallum Road Extension, City of Langford - Engineer of record for a key road connection in Langford and the adjacent mixed density, multi-use development that required storm water management and had significant blasting and grading challenges.
- University of Victoria District Energy Plant, District of Oak Bay - Engineer of Record and contract administrator for civil engineering aspects of the project, including services to the energy plant building, and restoration of offsite steam pipework areas.